Have you visited the website “This is why you’re fat“? Well, they sure do have some wonderful ideas on how to turn dreams into heart attacks.
Although my heart has already shown some signs of complaint, after seeing some of the wonderful pictures they have on the site I’ve decided to take my shot on the subject.
To tell you the whole story I have to confess that the final inspiration came from a show by Bobby Flay I happen to have watched on the net a few weeks ago, as he is not presenting his skills on Brazilian television. That was the first, as well as the one and only show by Bobby Flay I have ever watched (please, don’t ask me for the season and episode number, as I don’t have the slightest idea). On that show, Mr. Flay and a female guest (famous???????, not on this side of the world) each prepared his/her own version of an American classic: hamburgers. Here is my version (clearly inspired on theirs):
1. A homemade bun. I used a classical and rustic bread recipe – take a look at “Our Daily Bread“. They didn’t mention, but I bet the production bought theirs on a supermarket just around the corner – not as good though;
2. Butter fried onions to which I added my secret BBQ sauce recipe. I say “secret” because it seems every American man (and I bet quite a few women too) seems to have his own secret recipe. Mine is simple: catchup, some water, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chilli sauce and some Kentucky Bourbon (after all it’s an American sauce);
3. Pork and beef hamburgers (1:1) seasoned with some salt and chopped spring onions;
4. Slices of cheddar cheese;
5. Fried slices of bacon;
8. Homemade onion rings (flour, salt, pepper, baking powder, 1 well beaten egg with some milk)
8. Freshly prepared mayonese (2 egg yolks – one raw and one boiled – Dijon mustard to taste, few drops of lemon, pinch of salt, whisk oil into the mixture a few drops at a time – keep it smooth).
Man, let me tell you…that was good, specially considering it was eaten with some cold Mexican beer with a slice of lime.